× Here you can get community support related to Tag Meta.

Auto generate meta description for K2 articles

• ArucardX
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #281 by ArucardX
Maybe I'm mistaken, but from what I understand so far... meta descriptions are generated on the fly by the plugin which does all the work. The component is just for overwriting.

Without any rules created, just using the settings from the plugin, I managed to get the meta tags generated on the fly out of the box for keywords, title but description is empty?

<meta name="keywords" content="tag1,tag2,tag3,tag4,tag5" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
<meta name="title" content="Sample Advertisement 12 (Gallery) - Site Title" />
<meta name="image" content="mydomain.com" />
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright © 2012 SiteName. All Rights Reserved." />
<meta name="description" content=" " />

I tried creating a rule but it seems the rules are only meant for this or that specific page, while I am looking to generate meta tags for all articles from its content automatically. What am I doing wrong? ^^!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #282 by admin
Hi,
the component allows to create the rules. With a rule you can specify a group of pages (URLs) through regular expressions, and the meta info that should be overwritten for those matching pages. And the meta info can be generated "dinamically" using the supported macros.

The plugin is in charge of applying these rules to the matching URLs. In fact, if you disable the plugin, you disable Tag Meta. But the plugin has also some local settings that are independent from rules, (e.g. the "Redirect all").

This is the big picture, just ask me if you still have questions.

Kind regards,
Luigi
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by admin.

• ArucardX
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #283 by ArucardX
I'm still quite lost. From your explanation, I guess I need to use regular expressions to build the url and use {currentdescription} for description under meta options to generate the descriptions dynamically for each article.

How do I build the url with expressions if say my url is as followed?
subdomain.domain.com/category/item/461-sample-advertisement-14

All I can figure out is {siteurl} and then I have no idea how to build the rest of the url thru expressions. The instructions are somewhat detailed but too complex to understand at the same time, especially when I'm dealing with SEF url but the instructions are all about non-sef url.

• ArucardX
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 7 months ago #284 by ArucardX
Ok, I broke my website. I tried {siteurl}{path}{queryfull} saved the rule and now I get a 500 Internal Server Error everywhere on the site >_<

I read the reviews on JED that this works out of the box without any knowledge and what I'm trying to do... tbh aren't really complicated. I tested with a couple others other SEO plugin and always get stump at this description part for K2 articles.

If it's already able to generate the keywords and page title dynamically, how come I need to create a rule to get the descriptions to work? Kinda lost there. Sometimes I feel like almost all plugins on JED doesn't work with K2 >_>

More
11 years 7 months ago #285 by admin
First, disable the plugin to recover site. After this, just send me a screenshot of the rule you create. Send me a mail at info(at)selfget.com.

Kind regards,
Luigi

More
11 years 7 months ago #286 by admin
Hi,
be sure it works wih K2 (look at this site, as example). You shoiuld only understand how it works, and I'm here for this.

So, just disable the plugin to recover site from the error, and send me an email at info(at)selfget.com, and I will support you to configure your first rule. After this, you will be able to do by yourself.

Luigi

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds