× Here you can get community support related to Auto Group.

Would it be wise

• chmchm
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #796 by chmchm
Would it be wise was created by chmchm
to use your group plugin to identify users that belong to different satellite offices within the same company?
I am new to Joomla...

Groups seem to be associated with user privileges, but I need to categorize my people...
I tried to write a larger mod, but it seemed I was unscrewing a lightbulb with a hammer, and it would take too much to keep them updated properly, so why not use an expanded profile like in CB and group them with groups? Each office though, has addresses and hours that need to be kept. Can this be related into the groups? Can you go to the file and add fields? I can't find any docs about it in Joomla.org

I appreciate your advice in advance.
Christina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #798 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Would it be wise
Hi Christina,
I guess you are talking about Auto Group plugin for Community Builder.

Basically, this plugin allows you to assign Joomla groups to users, based on a CB field value. That's all.

If you need to have different fields for different profiles, and so on, you just need to explore CB features. Let me know if you need help.

Kind regards,
Luigi

• chmchm
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #799 by chmchm
Replied by chmchm on topic Would it be wise
I understand what your plugin, Auto Group, would do. I think it's wonderful! And it would make groups for my users to be placed in offices. And even more than one office. I tried to write a mod for this, but was having a hard time integrating user profiles into it without creating more than one profile per user. I really need a profile plugin with one to many categories. So, I am looking at CB, knowing that I have a forum as well.

My question is sort of more basic Joomla. Can you, should you, use usergroups to do more than specify permissions? Can you use them to categorize users into what is my case, offices, just to have the associations? Would it mess up their permissions in the joomla user/admin/forum areas?

As I said, I am new to joomla, but have a client who asked me to take over a project. Not even sure I can do it!

Thanks in advance.

More
11 years 1 month ago #800 by admin
Hi Christina,
starting from Joomla 1.6 new Joomla native ACL system allows you to do a lot of things. You can create groups (e.g. Buyers, Sellers, and so on), and a user can be assigned to one or more groups. Then you can create Access Levels (sets of permissions) and assign any group to an access level. Finally you can enable any function for one or more access levels, so the groups associated to these access levels can access the functions. Is very powerful and all new extensions are using this native ACL to manage access control.

As example, Phoca Download allows to set file access, so you can manage file permissions for your groups.

Now you should think about which kind of functions you need to provide to your users, based on their permission level.

Hope this makes sense for you More information here:

docs.joomla.org/Access_Control_List/2.5/Tutorial

Kind regards,
Luigi
The following user(s) said Thank You: chmchm

• chmchm
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #801 by chmchm
Replied by chmchm on topic Would it be wise
While looking at what others have done with this, and with your help, I have decided to use this and use the list function of CB to filter my users into offices. Thanks so much. While I don't need to use the groups for setting many permissions, they will just be registered users, it does help put them in categories/offices, for the larger group. And they may be able to have inter-office notices as well, which is a bonus.
You have been very helpful! I will possibly need to use your plugin to group them. I really appreciate your time.
Have a lovely day!
Christina

More
11 years 1 month ago #802 by admin
U're welcome, Christina.

Luigi

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds