× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

How to make Short URLs (redirect 200)

More
10 years 1 month ago #2216 by kuk
Does it possible to use ReDJ Enterprise to get rid off such long URLs created by Joomla 3.2.2 with included category/subcategory_1/subcategrory_2/...

I tried to get it with internal redirects (200) but I didn't get it it to work. I do something wrong. I do not know what the syntax for an internal redirect must be.

Perhaps, do you can send me a common rule which replaces all these categories in the path by only one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #2218 by admin
Replied by admin on topic How to make Short URLs (redirect 200)
Hi,
with internal redirect you can create short URLs to improve the standard routing mechanism, witht some limitations. Let me try to explain with an example. I suggest to try a rule with a 301 or 307 redirect and, after the rule works, to change redirect to 200 (internal).

Let's assume you need this short URL:
From URL: ^/myshort$
To URL: http://{siteurl}/cat1/subcat1/article1.html
Request only: true (checked)

This is a one-on-one rule and it works well with ReDJ.

If you want to build a rule for many-to-many URLs, you shoud first tell me how the short (source) URL should looks like. Destination is category/subcategory_1/subcategrory_2/ but what about the source?

Consider that the destination is built using parts of the source URL, trasforming them or looking into tables. If you can imagine a "function" to trasform source into destination within N steps, you can do it with ReDJ.

Kind regards,
Luigi

More
10 years 1 month ago #2223 by kuk
Replied by kuk on topic How to make Short URLs (redirect 200)
Luigi,

thank for this quick response.

It is helpful for me because I ignore the intentions of a redirect tool. I need a possibity to make these very long Joomla URLs (with all categories in path) shorter. Unfortunately no current SEF/SEO extension supports a multilingual J 3.2 website (with a necessary activated Language Filter plugin).

I wasted a lot of time to make this experience and hoped that your tool can help me. I didn't thought enough about it. I need something what does the internal routing pathes shorter by default.

But anyway, I will have enough opportunities for making own "short" URLs.

Thank you for your help. :)

Kay-Uwe

More
10 years 1 month ago #2225 by admin
Hi Kay-Uwe,
I understand what you need. But I have to be clear about this point, pls, be warned.

Even if you can use ReDJ to redirect many-to-many URLs with a single rule, and it supports internal redirect, ReDJ is a redirect extension, NOT a routing extension.

For any help about rules, I'm here for you.

Kind regards,
Luigi

More
10 years 1 month ago #2226 by kuk
Replied by kuk on topic How to make Short URLs (redirect 200)
Luigi,

yes that was my misunderstanding yesterday.

The wish was the father of my thought, therefore I ignored what redirection means.
You remember me what fact is.

Good to ask, isn't it? :)

Regards

Kay-Uwe

More
10 years 1 month ago #2227 by admin
Of course,
and I'm here to answer... :)

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds