× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

ReDJ and host file

• marceff
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #1862 by marceff
ReDJ and host file was created by marceff
I have configurated ReDJ to point mydomainnew.com to mydomainold.com (Joomla 2.5.16 and last release of ReDJ). This will redirect a new domain to an old site domain. Now I have to work to mydomainnew to build up a new site/domain.
So, i add to my computer host file the line IPnumber(of mydomainnew) www.mydomainnew, so that my computer only can see the new content. But it doesn't work because it takes the ReDJ configuration which goes to mydomainold.
Is there anything I can do to allow my computer see what I am building in mydomainnew?

Hope my question is clear and hope you have a suggestion.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1864 by admin
Replied by admin on topic ReDJ and host file
Yes,
please, but I need your pc etc/hosts file and the ReDJ redirect rule to move on the old domain. You can send me an email at info(at)selfget.com, if you prefer.

Kind regards,
Luigi

• marceff
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #1866 by marceff
Replied by marceff on topic ReDJ and host file
Thank you for your replay. What do you mean by "I need your pc host..."? What should I give you? I entered to my host file (Mac/linux) writing the server IP number and the domain (I tried without www, as in ReDJ I entered with www). I have configured ReDJ as follow:
From URL: https?://www\.domainnew\.com
To URL: {scheme}://www.domainold.com/
This is it.
My problem now is that I can't enter to domainnew site view (as I can enter in domainnew Joomla back end).
Please tell me what I should provide you to solve this question.

Thank you and regards

More
10 years 5 months ago #1867 by admin
Ok, now is clear.
I assume the rule has "Request only = false" cause you told me is working. Now you want to work on the domainnew bypassing the redirection rule. An easy way is to add a different "fake" domain to your hosts file that point to the same IP of the domainnew:

X.X.X.X www.fakedomain.com

And to configure the web server (e.g. Apache) adding a server alias. With this configuration you will call the same Joomla but the ReDJ rule will not work. To be clear, it should work also calling the domainnew without www, except if you have a rewrite rule that force the www.

Kind regards,
Luigi

• marceff
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 5 months ago #1869 by marceff
Replied by marceff on topic ReDJ and host file
Thank you for your replay. Yes, I forgot to specify "Request only = false", sorry.
I have almost solved the problem by editing the etc host file writing the same domain without www, except that a blank page appears as I connect to it! But it works on other computer!! I am not asking why, as it out of your software, but if something is turned on in your mind, it will be well accepted.

More
10 years 5 months ago #1875 by admin
When you call your domain without www the request is resolved with the IP you did put in the "etc/hosts" file. This request is received from your new server which is configured (virtual host) to serve pages for domain with www (server name). You must check that in the same virtual host there is also the domain without www (as server alias) or you will get a blank or an error. This is an example for apache:
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin me@mail.com
    DocumentRoot "/home/domain/public_html"
    ServerName www.newdomain.com
    ServerAlias newdomain.com
    ErrorLog "logs/newdomain-error.log"
    CustomLog "logs/newdomain-access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

Kind regards,
Luigi
The following user(s) said Thank You: marceff

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds