× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

Please can you help us with our Category redirect

• sammoda82
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #1588 by sammoda82
Two months ago we completely changes our very large website when upgrading to Joomla 2.5.
We moved about 3000 articles into completely new categories!
One problem is that we had multiple other organisations and other websites linking to our content and of course those links aren't available.
I have tried several times to do category redirects but they never seem to work.
It could also be caused by the fact that e changed all the menu's as well!
I give you an example of a typical problem.
www.asafeworldforwomen.org/partners-in-africa/partners-in-cameroon/wfac/wfac-buea-updates/625-wfac-buea-world-health-day.html
has moved to
www.asafeworldforwomen.org/fp-cameroon/wfacc/wfacc-news/4003-wfac-buea-world-health-day.html

Essentially what we need to do in this case is to create a redirect of every article in from here:

/partners-in-africa/partners-in-cameroon/wfac/wfac-buea-updates
to go to here:
/fp-cameroon/wfacc/wfacc-news

And I have no idea how to do this!
And we have multiple cases of this all over the site!

Can you advise!

Thanks so much

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #1589 by admin
Hi Andrew,
I think what you need is not enough, because after the transformation you still have /625-wfac-buea-world-health-day.html while you need /4003-wfac-buea-world-health-day.html.

The asset id is different so you need a more complex rule where you do a table lookup with "wfac-buea-world-health-day" and extract the "4003" needed to build the new destination.

Just play a little with available macros... :)

Kind regards,
Luigi

• sammoda82
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #1590 by sammoda82
Luigi
First I want to thank you for your amazingly quick response and over a weekend too!
Yes I thought this was more complex than a simple redirect as I wrote the question to you!

I guess from what you are saying is that because every ID has changed then it woudl almost have to be an individual macro for each item?

In which case better to just do a normal one-on-one Redirect?

On the other hand if we could manage to at least get people to land on the right menu it might be better than nothing.

So would it be possible to ignore the actual individual article for now! And have a normal category redirect which would simple redirect the viewer to the menu item where all the articles are now stored

ie not a category redirect but a menu redirect?

For instance to have a redirect which points any articles in the old menu to the new menu.

In 'old language' anything in /partners-in-africa/partners-in-cameroon/wfac/wfac-buea-updates/
now goes to...
/fp-cameroon/wfacc/wfacc-news

Or is it still the same problem?

Thanks so much

Andrew

More
10 years 6 months ago #1591 by admin
Hi Andrew,
the menu redirect could be a good solution. But the ID changed could not be a problem is you leave the same alias. You can use the alias for a table lookup (there's a macro for this) and calculate the new ID. Not so simple, but this would be the perfect behavior... :)

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds