× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

Is there kind of recommended maximum of redirects?

• marcel555
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #605 by marcel555
Hi Luigi,

I'm in the process of rebuilding a website with Joomla 2.5.8. I use shared webspace with 2 GB of guaranteed memory/RAM, PHP memory limit is 256 MB. ReDJ version is 1.6.2 Enterprise. Amount of pageviews is about 10.000 per day. I also have Tag Meta installed plus two content modules.

In total I have about 600 pages and many URLs changed. Until now I have about 80 redirections and it seems that ReDJ works smooth, with only a little influence to the performance of the website. But I could imagine to go up to about 200 redirections, which leads me to my question: Would you say that it could be a bit too much for the configuration mentioned above? I mean, ReDJ is very stable an would still work, but still quick?

Thank you in advance
Marcel
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by marcel555.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #608 by admin
Hi Marcel,
ReDJ is highly optimized for performances. It uses just a single query to check matching rules. I use the database to support regular expressions for maximum performances. The drawback is there is no possible use of indexing.

So, if you have 200 or 100 rules, no big impact on performances. If you have 2 millions rules you have two problems. One is related to performances, but the other one (most important) is you are not using ReDJ the right way.

The regexp support allows you to manage up to 1000 redirections with a single rule. In my personal experiencies I never need more then 30 / 40 rules to manage all redirections. If you have more, probably you are using rules to redirect single URLs. And to do this you can just use Joomla Redirection native extension, not ReDJ.

I hope this makes sense for you.

Kind regards,
Luigi

• marcel555
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #610 by marcel555
Hi Luigi,

thank you again for your reply. You are right, almost all my redirections are for single URLs. Some time ago I did some testing with the Joomla redirect tool, too, but for me it did not work as flawless as ReDJ.

Would you with your professional technical background say, that the Joomla redirection tool is a better choice for single redirections than ReDJ? Or is it just that ReDJ is "too powerful" for such cheap tasks? ;)

More
11 years 3 months ago #616 by admin
My suggestion to make it simple is to continue to use ReDJ but pay attention on the number of redirections. If your number still grow, you should start to search for a more specific solution.

Best regards,
Luigi

• marcel555
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #648 by marcel555

you should start to search for a more specific solution

What could such a more specific solution be? The thing is, I have changed/improved many article aliases and also category aliases. And there is no regularity from which I could define regular expression redirections to the new article URLs, as far as I see. That's why I think I need to add redirections for every single article. Well, my current strategy to avoid a too high time consumption is to add redirections only for the most important articles.

The IDs of the articles didn't change, and thus Joomla will (unfortunately) alway show up the correct article, no matter about the category and the article alias. Because of this I would put a lot of duplicate content into the Google index if I don't add 301 redirects or use your TagMeta to add correct canonical tags.

What are your thoughts on this?

More
11 years 3 months ago #650 by admin
This seems good.
I'm just warning you that if you add one thousand rules into ReDJ maybe you could experience a little delay on the query. I have not tested this, so my suggestion is to pay attention to this, and if the number of rules grow, you should enable mysql slow query log and check query times... that's it.

Best regards,
Luigi
The following user(s) said Thank You: marcel555

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds