× Here you can get community support related to Auto Group.

Automatic creation of GROUP

• Savoretti
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #2442 by Savoretti
Automatic creation of GROUP was created by Savoretti
It is possible to create automatically the user group passing the "groupname" to the AutoGroup Plugin?

As we want that each user registering to the web site is belonging to a different group we would like to automate the greationg of the group into the usergroup table using the plugin.
There is a way to address such request?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #2445 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Automatic creation of GROUP
Hi,
without spending words on this requirement and if it is a good idea or not, the request could be satisfied with a little customization of the Auto Group plugin. It should be analyzed more in detail, but you could use the same function triggered when the user field changes to get the current field value and create a group to assign the user to. And the field should be configured as "read only" to avoid further changes (with creation of new groups).

But just AS-IS is not possible because is out-of-scope of Auto Group main feature (that is, assign an user to an EXISTING group).

Kind regards,
Luigi

• Savoretti
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #2446 by Savoretti
Replied by Savoretti on topic Automatic creation of GROUP
Luigi thanks for the reply.
I partially solved the problem. I have now created all the groups in joomla; i have created a dropbox having all groups associeted with the auto-group field.

But i still don't understand if i have to write for each group available in the dropbox, a row in the field "Fields to group mapping" to map into Auto-Group field.

As i have over 8000 groups ID i am wondering if there are some limitations and/or if there is a smarter way to manage this field without creating 8000 lines.

More
9 years 11 months ago #2447 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Automatic creation of GROUP
Hi,
the smarter way could be created but requires a little plugin customization. The current rule allows you to specify the group (or groups) to assign for each field value (or values). A rule is always needed, the plugin do not know what you want to do.

In your case the rule is your custom way to manage this association, you need to take the field value and use it as group name to assign to. It's easy, but requires a little change in the plugin code. It is not difficult if you know a little PHP programming, and is much better then mantain and compare 8000 or more lines.

Kind regards,
Luigi

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds