× Here you can get community support related to Tag Meta.

Canonical Help

• geoffr
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #1604 by geoffr
Canonical Help was created by geoffr
Hi, I'm only just learning about canonical links, so looking for some assistance and clarifications on how to implement them into our new Joomla 3 site using Tag Meta. (I was hoping there might be a tutorial video?)

For the home page, my non-sef link is /index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=101 and the sef link is simply the root (i.e. the domain). Am I correct that every page that requires a canonical link should have an entry in Tag Meta, and, if so, would the entry for the home page be the domain, or should it be the non-sef url?

For other pages, do we use the non-sef url or the sef-url for the canonical?

We have several hundred pages, so it will be a big job adding entries for every page. Any advice appreciated.

thanks,
Geoff

(PS. We have Tag Meta Enterprise 1.7.2)
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by geoffr. Reason: More info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #1610 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Canonical Help
Hi Geoff.

First, you do not need to add canonical to each page, only to duplicated pages, to specify the main URL. Your example about the homepage is perfect, so yuo don't need the rel canonical in the / but you need in the /index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=101.

Now, you can use Tag Meta to add canonical to your pages, but to think to use it with a distinct rule for each page is completely wrong. You can create rules where each rule can be a regular expression and can match many URLs. And you can use macros to build meta (and canonical) dynamically. Moreover, you can apply many rules to the same URL (you have rule ordering and "last rule" property to do this. And you have the Enterprise version, so you could try the {routeurl} macro. This returns the routed URL using all current variables, so it should usually return the "canonical".

I know there is a lot of tutorials / videos out there, my fault. But if you need some help on this I can give you, just advise.

Kind regards,
Luigi

• geoffr
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #1614 by geoffr
Replied by geoffr on topic Canonical Help
Hi Luigi, thanks so much for the reply, that's very helpful. Do you have any documentation or tutorials for the features you mentioned above? e.g. how to use the {routeurl}, last rule, etc.? Otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about! ;-)

Thanks,
Geoff

• geoffr
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #1615 by geoffr
Luigi, I just discovered the "Instructions" tab - I'll work through that. Are you available for hire in setting up our site, even just some sample pages, if necessary?

Geoff

• geoffr
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 6 months ago #1616 by geoffr
Luigi, are you able to advise if I should use SEF urls for the canonical links, or the native Joomla links? We will be using Joomla's SEF links when the site goes live.

thanks,
Geoff

More
10 years 6 months ago #1617 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Canonical Help
Hi Geoff,
about the first question, I have a video tutorial (never published) that shows how to use. I could try to finish video editing and publish.

For the second question, I am always available to help you. If you have a complex project you can hire me, but usually this is not required... my users learn my lessons very fast!!! :)

Finally, for the third question, your question looks strange. The canonical URL MUST BE the main link in a group of URL aliases. I you have, as example, two URLs that point to the SAME page:

www.yoursite.com/news

www.yoursite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=2

If the "main" URL is the first one, you can add a canonical to the second one (or to both):
<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.yoursite.com/news"/>

I hope this is clear, more info here:

support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139394
Kind regards,
Luigi

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds