× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

Menuless articles

• derekk
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #5590 by derekk
Menuless articles was created by derekk
I have been trying Sh404sef to fix menuless articles so they will show SEF urls.
It is very difficult and the process is very poor.
The program is way too complicated and causes all kinds of other issues.

I know you would gain a considerable amount of Joomla users if your program was able to accomplish the following Luigi or make it significantly simpler. There is no Joomla program to resolve this issue and every single Joomla user has this problem.

Here are our current issues to give you an idea (I do not intend for you to try to fixany of these at all ) of the problem and how big it is.

Everyone who uses Joomla :
Builds a website and and creates several articles and wants SEF urls for each and every one of those articles

Article and URL Rules:
Every article you create will create an url.
This url is referred to as Non-SEF url.
index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1475

You create an article with alias "test1", "test1" exists but can not be accessed by a browser because the alias is not connected to a menu itemID, this essentially what SEF components do.
The Joomla built in SEF allows for these SEF to be parsed but does not create any by itself or automatically.
Joomla only creates the Non-SEF url automatically.

1. If you want to create a SEF url for your articles you may install a SEF component (Sh404sef)and it will auto create SEF urls only after someone tries to access the nonsef url
2. After installing the SEF component you may proactively manually go to that url and trigger the action yourself.
3. After installing the SEF component you may create a menu that pulls all those articles in a list
4. After installing the SEF component you may create a module that not only lists the articles but triggers the SEF component
5. After installing the SEF component you may try this www.itoctopus.com/sh404sef-how-to-re-generate-all-the-links-on-a-migrated-joomla-website

You want to create SEF urls for existing articles and publish the SEF links to those articles in Emails and on other websites?
You may use the SEF component to create them but you must perform numerous manual steps and install SEF component.

2. You already have a site with hundreds if not thousands of articles as in our case and you need to make them all SEF urls and and publish the SEF links to those articles in Emails and on other websites?

3. You have a current website built with SH404sef with thousands of articles, redirects and SEF urls created by SH404sef. However now the urls and the redirects SH404sef created are so complicated and corrupt you can no longer use that website or SH404sef.
If you purge the thousands of urls in SH404sef to try and clean it you will:
a. lose all current urls
b. your site will not work because 95% of your urls do not exist anymore
c. you have to manually trigger each article to recreate the SEf url.
d. It will take days if not weeks before you can manually get the urls back and you still dont know if they all work or not. This link explains the issue with Sh404sef www.itoctopus.com/sh404sef-how-to-re-generate-all-the-links-on-a-migrated-joomla-website

4. Below is also our issue now but again there are a large number of Joomla users with this issue too.
We can no longer use SH404sef and our current site is unusable because of this issue.

We need to choose a new url and recreate the website on that new url.
From currentsite.com to newsite.com

We import all of the content including articles to newsite.com.
Everything is now on newsite.com
However the current urls with prefix currentsite.com need to be changed to newsite.com
The thousands of articles imported to newsite.com need not only to be SEF the url must match the current site url exactly or all of the published links you have on your site and on the internet including books and content you sold will no longer work.
You do not want to use SH404sef because of the issues it caused before and even if you do want to, you cant import the Sh404sef settings from currentsite.com because they are too complicated and likely corrupt and it would take weeks to rebuild manually and test.

Conclusion every Joomla user has the problem of creating SEF urls for their articles so they may publish links. Currently this is difficult and very time consuming .
if you have numerous articles doing it manually or with Sh404sef is not practical and in the end causes larger problems than the one it solved.

This is more than likely Luigi why most of your current users of ReDJ came to you and the core of all of the redirect commands they ask you for help with.

I am not sure if ReDJ can resolve all of these issues however so far my experience with ReDJ and you Luigi
certainly indicates you are capable of providing the tool or service to cover most of them.

I am not asking you to solve any of my issues presented above here, I am asking you if you would consider pursuing a process or tool for fixing the main issues that I presented above. I am also stating on behalf of the Joomla community that there is a need here to be filled that you could prosper from.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #5594 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Menuless articles
Hi Derek,
thanks for posting such a detailed issue. Unfortunately one of the Joomla weakness is the routing really.

First let me say that ReDJ is a REDIRECTION extension and not a ROUTING extension like the good sh404SEF, so it is not possible to "extend" ReDJ to cover these use cases. For this reason a long time ago I tried to implement a routing extension (AutoRoute, I already has the code...) to deal with problems like the one you just described. But I failed. During the beta stage I found so many "exception" to the "automatic" routing rules (e.g. nested menu items and URL aliases), and eventually I decided to drop the project.

ANd now I am much focused on API and mobile...

Kind regards,
Luigi
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds