× Here you can get community support related to ReDJ.

Creating a redirect rule in my situation

More
8 years 8 months ago #4111 by oman
Dear forum,

I am new to ReDJ.

To make a long story short, I've been having a really difficult time with migrating my site from Joomla 1.5 to 3.+ because of an extension I was using calling Multicategories, which allows you to assign one article to multiple categories in Joomla 1.5 and 2.5. Unfortunately, however, the developer is not upgrading this extension for Joomla 3.+. And it's actually not even necessary going forward either, since there is now a tags function in Joomla 3.+.

With that said, this extension inserted a com_multicategories element into all of my URLs, so the majority of URLs I've shared over the years on social media etc, contain this com_multicategories element. If I can use your product to redirect those URLs to new ones, I believe the fix might be a lot easier than I expected.

I would be eternally grateful and certainly willing to make a donation or write an extremely positive review (or buy the Pro version, should one be available), if that's the case. What I need done is fairly simple, I just don't know how to accomplish it.

The situation:

I basically need all URLs that contain "com_multicategories" to redirect to URLs that contain "com_content" instead.

For instance, if a URL was:

mysitename.com/index.php?option=com_multicategories&view=category&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=111

I would like it to redirect to:

mysitename.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=79&Itemid=111

And if a URL was:

mysitename.com/index.php?option=com_multicategories&view=article&id=696:the-taking-of-tiger-mountain&catid=5:movies&Itemid=111

I would like it to redirect to:

mysitename.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=696:the-taking-of-tiger-mountain&catid=5:movies&Itemid=111

Can you please help me to create this type of redirect rule?

It would really mean a lot to me.

Sincerely,
Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #4116 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Creating a redirect rule in my situation
Hi Scott,
it could be done with ReDJ, but there is a little problem to solve first. As you can see, the id in the old URL is different from the id in the new URL. WIth ReDJ you can replace a portion of the existing URL, but you need a "rule" to transform old params to new ones. Is this your case? It could be possible, as example, to lookup a table with old_id=5 and find new_id=79?

Please, advise.

Kind regards,
Luigi
The following user(s) said Thank You: oman

More
8 years 8 months ago #4119 by oman
Replied by oman on topic Creating a redirect rule in my situation
Hm, yes, I didn't notice that. And now that you mention it, after further investigation, I've also discovered that the URLs will change depending upon where their being clicked on the site.

Let me ask you, is it possible to configure ReDJ URL by URL instead of using rules?

For instance, could I say ... if the page is X ... redirect to page Y? Or is that something more easily done in the .htaccess file directly?

Although I have tons of URLs, I think that might be easiest considering there doesn't appear to be any *rule* that will cover all the URLs with their corresponding ids, etc.

Many thanks!
Scott

More
8 years 8 months ago #4120 by oman
Honestly, this is beyond my knowledge base.

I wonder if what I want to do is even possible considering that the old URLs will no longer be connected to the site.

Maybe this is a silly question and the answer is obvious to Joomla experts and developers, but how can I redirect a URL from a Joomla 1.5 site after migration to Joomla 3.+ and site redesign when those URLs will no longer even exist and/or be functioning?

More
8 years 8 months ago #4121 by oman
(sorry)

I mean they will exist because they're associated with a link that was shared in the past, but they won't be working. They will all go to blank pages.

...and my confusion continues...

More
8 years 8 months ago #4122 by oman
(sorry Xs 2)

Now I realize that it is possible since the URLs all begin with mysitename.com, but how?

I defer to your expertise.

Please advise.

Many thanks!
Scott

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds